There is no better way to cheer up your day than to have a good laugh. No matter how bad I feel or frustrated I get, one good laugh can change my entire mood.
The best part of my day is when my boyfriend comes over after work and rests near me. As I watch TV, read, or mess around on the computer, he scrolls through Facebook and shows me funny images, stories and videos – one right after the other. It’s the best way to end a long day, especially when I’m in pain from fibromyalgia or mentally exhausted. I have to dote on my man just a little. When I’ve had a bad day, which is often, he always finds a way to make me smile and laugh. He’s the “best medicine” I’ve ever encountered, along with laughing.
Among the many humorous online items, my favorite is MINIONS! There is a minion image for every possible issue you’re facing. Online, go to Google and type in “minion laughs;” click on the images tab; and get ready to laugh until you cry! There are some of the images that simply make no sense; some that the creator needs to use spell check and learn proper grammar; and some that are “clean” but can be mean. But the majority are appropriately hilarious.
The expression on each minion’s face, the clothes they wear, their posture… it all makes me at least smirk. Then so many of the images have sayings to go with it. Here are some of my favorites I found today.
- “Don’t Grow Up, It’s A Trap!” I mean how true is that statement! Minion Image
- “Not sure if I’m sexy and I know it or I’m ugly and I ignore it.” Minion Image
- “Sleeping is my drug. My bed is my dealer. And my alarm clock is the police.” I laughed so hard at this I teared up… it’s so true for me! Just ask anyone I’ve ever lived with! Minion Image
- When I found out I have fibromyalgia, this statement would have been appropriate and funny… “Starting tomorrow whatever life throws at me, I’m ducking so it hits someone else.” My boyfriend says I’ll duck and let it hit him! Minion Image
- To a family member I may text them a Minion image with “I Smile because you’re my family… I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it.” I’ll have to remember this one the next time my sister calls to vent! Minion Image
- Here’s a good one for a friend. “We are best friends. Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up… After I finish laughing.” Minion Image
- “When I get old, I’m not going to sit around knitting. I’m going to be clicking my life alert button to see how many hot firefighters show up!” I just shared it on Facebook with a good friend whose husband is a volunteer fireman. I got an immediate LOL response from her. For those who don’t know, LOL is the acronym for “laugh out loud” or “lots of laughs,” whichever you prefer. Minion Image
- “Ignorance can be educated and crazy can be medicated but there’s no cure for stupid.” Minion Image
There are so many more. I could go on for days. And of course there are a lot of other images and videos that aren’t with minions…they’re just my fave.
Here’s a quote, supposedly, by Albert Einstein. “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” BMABH.com Image
Find a way to laugh every day at least once. And I don’t mean just a smirk but a good hearty laugh. It’s a true mood enhancer. There has been a lot of research to prove laughter does improve your overall well-being.
Even the Bible refers to the benefit of laughter. “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” Proverbs 17:22 NIV. Who knew the idea of laughter being good for your health came from one of the first books ever written and the words of Solomon, God’s servant.
If you don’t have regular access to funny online images and videos, here are a few other ideas:
- Watch a funny TV sitcom or movie.
- Share funny stories from your past with a family member or friend. Reminiscing about good times is always good for the sole.
- Read newspaper cartoons. You’re never told old to get a good laugh out of a cartoon.
- Buy a book of jokes, comedies or other humorous literature. I keep an Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader in my bathroom. In addition to jokes and humorous anecdotes and stories, the book has “useless” but interesting knowledge about all kinds of subjects.
- Place humorous items such as pictures and comic strips where you can see them on a regular basis. I have a small candid shot of my Papa Harry grinning from ear to ear tacked to the wall beside my bed where I can see it as soon as I open my eyes.
- For you exercise nuts, join a laughter yoga group.
- And my favorite… Laugh at yourself and things that happen in your life.
- But, DON’T laugh at someone else’s expense. That’s just wrong.
Medical-wise, laughter has a lot of benefits. Number one for me is that it reduces stress and improves your mood.
Short-term benefits of laughter include:
- Stimulate many organs, including heart, lungs, muscles and brain.
- Activate and relieve your stress response.
- Soothe tension.
Long-term benefits include:
- Improve your immune system.
- Relieve pain.
- Increase personal satisfaction.
- Improve your mood.
Think of a time you laughed so hard you cried or couldn’t catch your breath. Ladies you’ll know what I mean when I explain how I’ve laughed so hard I had to cross my legs to keep from peeing in my pants! If you can think of a time like that, I bet you’ve got a smile on your face right now. Doesn’t it make you feel a little better!
I’ll leave you with just one more minion image saying: “Laughing is the best medicine. But if you’re laughing for no reason, you may need medicine.” Minion Image